Easter is right around the corner!
There’s just something so happy about Easter. Maybe it’s the colours, the pretty pastel blues, pinks, purples and yellows. Maybe it’s the all the chocolate that arrives on Easter morning. Maybe it’s because it means spring is around the corner and the snow will be leaving soon. Either way, I’m happy when Easter rolls around.
I have to say one of my favourite things about Easter (and holidays in general) is food and family. Actually, because all the family comes up for the holiday, it means we make a big celebration out of the 4-day weekend and have a huge feast! Ham or turkey with all the fixings! And no doubt, my contribution will be dessert.
In the past, I’ve brought a cake or cupcakes. Last year, I brought my famous chocolate brownie supreme (mainly because I was 8 months pregnant and too big and tired to really try and make anything else). But this year, I was inspired by those candy covered chocolate mini-eggs. I think it’s because Alexie is really starting to get into holidays and traditions. Oh, and she’s obsessed with birds. So little cookie nests with eggs in it would make her giddy! So I jumped in the kitchen and got right to work creating these cute cookies.
They use a simple chocolate cookie dough as their foundation. Then I rolled the dough into 1″ balls and rolled each ball in chocolate sprinkles until it was completely covered. I baked them in the oven and added 3-4 mini-chocolate eggs while they were still hot. The result is truly delicious. The cookie dough is soft chewy, but the sprinkles add a lovely little crunch on the outside. And the centre of the chocolate eggs on top get a little gooey in the middle. They are cute, easy, and delicious. And Alexie absolutely loved them!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cups of cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cups of chocolate sprinkles
- about 300g of chocolate mini-eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. It’ll keep your baking sheets clean and the cookies from sticking.
- Next, in a bowl, beat your eggs.
- Cream together the eggs with the sugar, brown sugar and softened butter.
- Add the vanilla and baking soda.
- Mix in the cocoa powder.
- Finally, add the flour. Mix until everything is well blended.
- Scoop out some dough and make some balls, roughly 1″ in diameter.
- In a small bowl, pour the sprinkles. Roll each ball in the chocolate sprinkles until it is fully covered. Place the balls on the baking sheet, allowing space for them to expand.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 mins, until the outside is crusted and slightly browned around the edges but still soft in the middle.
- Immediately push 3-4 mini-eggs into the centre of each cookie.
- Allow them too cool fully on the baking sheet before enjoying!
I’m pretty confident that these are going to become a new Easter tradition around here. Besides the fact that they are cute and festive, they are also delicious! Oh, and I’m already fending off Alexie who wants to eat all the little nests!