Hello Zoé! The Birth Story of Our Second Baby Girl

Motherhood, Pregnancy
newborn pictures

Tuesday morning was like any other day. Except it wasn’t. I woke up feeling huge, tired and so over being pregnant. I was a day past my medical due date and while I truly believed that my actual due date was Friday, I was so ready for this baby to be born. But that morning it didn’t feel like it was going to happen.

We started our day and I decided that I’m might try to walk this baby out. So far I had avoided any labour-inducing techniques because I wanted my husband to be around for the delivery. Two weeks prior he took 35 students to New York City for a school trip, meaning he was several hours away in a different country. The following week he took his class on a field trip to a college 2 hrs away. Basically, he spent a good chunk of the month before I delivered on various field trips and school commitments. So I was doing everything possible to avoid going into labour.

baby girl newborn pictureBut today was his last major school commitment for this school year. After 2:45 today his schedule was free and clear and this baby could come anytime. So I decided that I should go for a good, long walk and see if that would be enough to bring on labour. I packed Alexie in the stroller and headed for our local Tim Horton’s. The 3km walk with a little doughnut snack break in the middle definitely started something.

After lunch, I was exhausted from our walk so it was nap time for everyone. While I was lying down I could feel some strong Braxton Hicks contractions. I fell asleep hoping this was the start of something. After an hour and a half nap, I was still having these Braxton-Hicks but nothing regular. Since Alexie was still napping, I headed to my basement, got my exercise ball and started bouncing. By the time my husband got home around 3:30, the contractions were still irregular but a little stronger. When Alexie woke up we headed out for another but much shorter walk.

By the end of our 20-minute walk, it was clear this baby was starting to make her exit. The contractions were coming about every 10 minutes and getting stronger. I texted my sister telling her to come as soon as she was done work. While we waited, we had dinner, bathed Alexie and even showered ourselves. We left the house around 8:45 pm with contractions coming every 4-6 minutes. We thought we had lots of time. They weren’t that intense and still quite far apart. We even stopped for iced coffee on our way to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at about 9:15 pm and was admitted shortly after. I was 4 cm dilated and still contracting every 4-6 mins. Since the plan was to have an epidural, we got right on getting fluids and the blood work hoping to rush the process a little. I’m not one for pain and I had a great experience with the epidural for Alexie’s birth. The anesthesiologist arrived about an hour later and got started inserting the epidural. I thought I had lots of time. We’d only been there for an hour. Just as the epidural was inserted and they laid me down to let it take effect, my water broke. I knew that I was in trouble, pain-management wise.

smile baby - first smileIt wasn’t 10 minutes later that the contractions were almost on top of each other and there was so much pressure. It was time to push and the epidural still hadn’t taken effect! This was not what I wanted, or planned on. For the next 10 minutes, I was in the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. The whole time I kept thinking, “My sister-in-law lied!” She recently had a fast (and med-free delivery) and told me in the moment, you don’t feel any pain. I clung to that hope for a few minutes but then I realised that it just wasn’t true.

As we drove to the hospital we thought about how cool it would be if we had this one today, on the 30th. Alexie was born on the 30th and we just thought that would be kind of cool for the girls as they grow up. But there were only 3ish hours left in the day, not enough to have a baby.  Or so we thought.

When it came time to push, I looked up at the clock on the wall. It was just after 11:30 pm. There was still a chance that this baby would arrive on the 30th. And she did.

At 11:46 pm, our little girl made her entrance. She came out with one hand on her face and “superman-ed” her way into the world. Zoé Brielle was happy and content the moment she was born. She even smiled at the nurses as they cleaned and weighed her. As I held her for the first time, I just felt complete. I held all 7 pounds 8 ounces of my baby and smelled that new baby smell. After about 3 and half hours of real labour, she was finally here and we couldn’t be any happier.

sisters newborn photographyThe next day Alexie came to meet her new little sister and it was love at first sight. Alexie absolutely adores Zoé and hates when she cries. Sometimes she loves her a little too much, trying to cuddle/squish her. There are days when I have to hide her while she naps so Alexie doesn’t love her until she wakes up.

As they grow up I can already see these two becoming best friends. I’m sure they will have their fights (Alexie loves to steal her soother already) but they’ve already got a strong little bond and I can’t wait to watch them grow up together.

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply