I have got to tell you about my craziest pregnancy craving ever!
Pregnancy cravings can be intense. With Alexie, I wanted fresh strawberries all the time. I ate about a pound a day (and they were not in season so it cost us an arm and a leg to buy them fresh). When I got pregnant with Zoé, I craved watermelon for a bit, but I also craved chocolate.
One night, the chocolate craving hit, bad! All I wanted was a big soft chocolate cookie. But considering it was 9 o’clock at night, I would have eaten anything with chocolate in it. As I searched my house, I couldn’t find anything. No chocolate stashes, chocolate bars and certainly no chocolate chip cookies. I tried to pull out some frozen cookie dough my husband had brought home from a school fundraiser, but it was gluten-free and frozen solid. There was no way I was going to be able to make anything with it that night.
My next attempt to get some chocolate was to head out and buy some. Our small town grocery store had just closed and my only option was the local Tim Horton’s coffee shop. Of course, they’d have chocolate! I walked in, cash in hand ready to satisfy my cravings.
The shelves were empty!
Ok…Slight exaggeration but they were all out of anything chocolatey. No chocolate cookies, doughnuts, danishes or even muffins. The girl behind the counter tried to offer me something else, but I knew it would be useless. I headed home, fighting tears. I found my husband and told him the devastating news. I was about to burst into tears. He suggested an Oreo, but that wasn’t the same and we both knew it.
I decided to search the cupboard one last time, praying to find something chocolatey. And there under a bag of sugar, I found a pack of chocolate chips. I almost screamed with excitement (but Alexie was sleeping so I held it in). I now had all the ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies. I got right to work and about 20 minutes later I was eating a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie, straight out of the toaster oven (our oven beeps loudly and the toast oven heats faster…I was desperate). So I ate my cookie happily while watching Bones at 10 o’clock at night. And I have no regrets
This is one of my favourite recipes and I make it frequently. During the winter months, it’s a comfort food. Warm gooey chocolate chip cookies with a glass of cold milk are the perfect end to a winter evening. But during the summer these are perfect for homemade ice cream sandwiches (I’m actually singing that last line). Homemade ice cream sandwiches are one of my favourite summer treats. And my hubby and kids love them too!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 baking soda
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk chocolate for an extra special treat
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Cream together eggs, sugar, brown sugar and butter.
- Add vanilla, baking soda
- Add flour
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Chill in the fridge for about a half an hour or so. You can bake immediately but you’ll get a better cookie if you chill it. Chilled dough will give you a cookie that’s firm on the outside and but soft and gooey on the inside.
- Bake at 350*F for 8-10 minutes.
Bonus: Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer for about 5 minutes until it gets a little soft.
- Take a scoop of ice cream and put it in the middle of a cookie.
- Place another cookie on top and gently push them together.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes until the ice cream solidifies again.
- Store in large bag or container in the freezer and enjoy when you like.
Isn’t it great when you get 2 awesome treats out of one recipe? Whether you like the cookies with milk or as a cold summer treat, these chocolate chip cookies will become a staple year-round!