One of my favourite things about the end of summer is the fresh produce. All of my favourite fruits and veggies are in season, meaning they are at their peak for flavour and sweetness. I look forward to the fresh watermelons, berries and peaches. Not to mention that they are more widely available at a reasonable price. You can find great produce at your local grocery store and the farmers’ markets are open and full of options.
Last week, I saw 3-liter baskets of peaches on sale for $3. What a deal for almost a dozen of the sweetest, most delicious peaches around. I happily grabbed a basket before heading to the cash. And a good thing that I did.
A few days later, my mother-in-law called. We usually have dinner with them on Sundays but they had no power. So instead of cancelling, we invited them over to our house. But now I had only a few hours to make dinner, tidy the house and figure out a dessert. And then I saw the peaches sitting on my counter.
A quick wash, peel, and a few ingredients later, I had an easy, seasonal and delicious Peach Crisp baking away in my oven. As always, this summer staple of mine was a hit.
4-6 medium sized peaches, washed, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup butter, melted completely
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a pie pan, arrange slices of peaches evenly to cover the bottom of the dish.
- In another bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the oats and mix until all the ingredients are equally coated.
- Spread the oat mixture over top of the peach slices, creating a thin, even top coating.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes until the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.