A few months ago, I wrote about doing a cake for Emily’s bridal shower. Well, the day has come and she’s married. It was a beautiful wedding and I couldn’t be happier for the lucky couple.
I was so excited and honoured to be asked to make the cupcakes and cutting cake for their wedding. We discussed some options and finally decided on three flavours: Strawberry Shortcake, Raspberry Lemonade and Red Velvet.
I knew that Red Velvet was Emily’s all-time favourite and it turns out that it’s one of Matthias’ favourite flavours too. It was an obvious choice for their cutting cake. To go with their country-chic wedding, we decided on a simple 6” round cake made to look like a birch tree log. I even “carved” their initials in the front. The whole set-up looked amazing and all 16 dozen were gone by the end of the reception.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp red food colouring
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- cream together the eggs, butter, sugar, and vanilla
- add the salt, vinegar, baking soda, red food colouring and buttermilk.
- slowly add in the cocoa powder and flour. Mix until smooth.
- pour into a parchment paper-lined cake ban and bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, between 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the pan.
I frosted this cake with a simple white buttercream. I tinted some various shades of brown to make the rings on the top of the cake. Some simple lines and smudges of black food colouring and the birch bark effect was complete. It was a perfect topper for Emily and Matthias’ wedding!