Lately, I’ve become obsessed with Sheet Pan dinners.
Have you heard about these? They are honestly my new favourite way to cook a meal. Basically, you put all or most of your meal components on a baking sheet and roast everything in the oven. The result is a delicious, healthy meal, made on a single pan, which equals very few dishes (yah!). And they are so easy. I’ve honestly been making at least a week for the past month, trying different things out and each recipe is turning out better than the one before.
They are turning out so well that I decided to make use this technique to make my Valentine’s dinner. As you might have read, we prefer to have our Valentine’s date at home every year. It’s a tradition that we started when we were first married and one that we plan on continuing. But the only downside to dinner at home is having to do the dishes. I figured that a simple steak dinner on a sheet pan couldn’t be that hard and it would mean fewer dishes than previous years.
So I set out to make the perfect menu for our sheet pan steak dinner! It includes sirloin steaks, roast potatoes, garlic glazed mushrooms and roasted green beans. A complete steak dinner on one sheet pan and it was delicious!
- 2 Sirloin steaks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice Blend
- a small pack of mini red potatoes about 15
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- generous pinch of salt
- 8 oz of mushrooms (cremini, button, white or a combination)
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 tbsp oil
- fresh ground pepper
- You want to start by marinating your streaks. Drizzle half the oil on your steaks and sprinkle with steak spice. Do both sides and give them as long as you can to marinate (ideally overnight but even 20 minutes does wonders).
- Preheat your oven to 400*F.
- I pre-steam my mini-potatoes in the microwave. I put them in a glass bowl with a tablespoon or so of water in the bottom. Pop them into the microwave for about 5 minutes on high until they are soft to the touch. Remove them and drain any liquid that might be left.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to the bowl and toss until the potatoes are evenly coated. pour onto the sheet pan.
- Chop mushrooms into bitesize pieces, depending on the variety and size. Combine the melted butter with the garlic, pepper and toss in a bowl with the mushrooms until everything is well coated. Pour onto the sheet pan.
- The green beans are super easy. Just place on the sheet pan, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with a little ground pepper.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, flipping the potatoes, mushrooms and green beans about halfway through.
- Your meal is done when your steak is cooked to your liking. Medium rare would be ready closer to 15 minutes while a more well-done steak closer to 20 minutes.
And there you have a delicious sheet pan steak dinner with all the trimmings. It’s really the perfect option for a romantic dinner for two! We actually both love mushrooms so we actually double (or sometimes triple) this recipe and make just a sheet pan of mushrooms. So we end up with 2 sheet pans, but since we cover them with aluminium foil, the clean up is actually quite fast and easy.