Every restaurant has something they are famous for, something they do better than anyone. Fast food restaurants are no different. Mc Donald’s has their fries. Subway has their white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. One of my favourite fast food places is Pita Pit. It’s a pretty healthy option when you’re on the go and each pita is totally customizable. But the thing I think they are famous for is their Turtle Cookies.
While out running errands, I stopped in to grab my favourite chicken caesar pita. I made it a combo and was contemplating which chips to grab when I saw these chocolate cookies sitting in the window. They had bits of melted caramel and looked so good. I just had to try them. One bite and I was in heaven.
I knew I wanted to recreate this recipe. They were so good. So I set out on a mission. I had to taste test several of their cookies (poor me) to figure out the right balance of caramel, chocolate, and pecans. After a few test batches of my own, the recipe was perfect.
- 1 cup butter, soften
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup caramels, cut into quarters (about 20)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- preheat oven to 350F
- Combine eggs, sugar, brown sugar and butter,
- Add cocoa powder, baking soda and flour. Mix well.
- Mix in the chocolate chips, caramel pieces and pecans.
- Scoop onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. You will want to line it since some of the caramels might melt and it’s much harder to get off if it’s not lined.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. These are best a little on the soft side.